Tweet2Download allows a wordpress blog to require a tweet and a follow in exchange for the downloads available on the blog. It is a viral marketing tool that effectively turns your downloads into viral downloads, and since it’s open source it gives you the best kind of marketing tool there is: a free marketing tool.
If you have a blog that provides downloads, this plugin is the perfect twitter marketing tool for you. Tweet2Download allows you to require a tweet and a follow in exchange for a download on your blog.
The plugin is well suited for blogs that offer ezines, software, code, design creatives, tutorials, music, videos, torrent files or any kind of download for that matter.
PHP 5 or above, Curl, tested with WordPress 3.0 and above.
Same as the Akismet plugin, Tweet2Download requires an API key from Twitter to work. You can get the required Twitter API key, consumer secret and consumer key from here, just make sure to select “Default Access type:” to “Read & Write” in order for the plugin to work properly.
see our documentation page on the subject.
To install the Tweet2Download WordPress Plugin, follow these steps:
- Extract and upload the `tweet2download` folder to the `/wp-content/plugins/` directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins‘ menu in WordPress
- Create a Twitter App for your blog here. Learn here how to create a Twitter App for Tweet2Download.
- Go to the plugin setup page (wp-admin -> Settings-> Tweet2Download Settings) and fill in the Twitter App info
- Upload the file you wish to provide using the Tweet2Download button (wp-admin -> Media -> Add New), make sure to tick “These files will be downloaded using Tweet2Download“
- Use the short code, to place the Tweet2Download button in your post
- Upload a file to wordpress (wp-admin -> Media -> Add New), make sure to tick “These files will be downloaded using Tweet2Download“
- When editing a post, click the “Add Tweet2Download Button” icon (next to the “Upload/Insert” media icons)
- Select the file you previously uploaded, and click “Insert Tweet2Download button into Post“
- Change the shortcode to contain the tweet and follow you want, Publish!
You can show the Tweet2Download button in a post by calling the Tweet2Download shortcode, for example:
[tweet2download file="my-awesome-file.zip" tweet="The tweet you want the downloaders to post goes here" follow="@awesometweeterer" /]
The shortcode takes 3 parameters.
file=”” – the filename the users will get to download. The file needs to have been previously uploaded with “These files will be downloaded using Tweet2Download” checked!
for example: file=”my-file.zip”
tweet=”” – the tweet the user will post on their twitter account in exchange for the file. You can use %%post-url%% in the tweet as a placeholder for the post’s link,
for example: tweet=”I really like this article %%post-url%%”
follow=”” – comma separated list of twitter accounts the user will follow in exchange for the download.
For example: follow=”@inspiredcore” or follow=”@batman,@superman”
Demo & Downloadtweet2download.1.4.0.zip
= 1.4.0 =
- fixed compatibility issues with WordPress 3.3
- adjusted settings page to reflect Twitter APP changes
= 1.3.0 =
- plugin is now able to reveal hidden content on the page in exchange for a tweet and a follow
- added ability to customize the Tweet2Download button with the [tweet2downloadhtml] shortcode
- some bugfixes
= 1.2.1 =
- First public release